Assistant Professor of Teaching
Columbia College Chicago, 2013-2018.
I was hired by Columbia College primarily to assist in redesigning their First-Year Writing program to more effectively respond to 21stcentury literacies. We transitioned away from a traditional writing model based on alphabetic written texts to a more contemporary one incorporating emerging digital genres, new writing technologies, and social media contexts. We wrote our own textbook and rolled out the new curriculum to thousands of CCC students and continued to evolve the program in response to data-driven feedback from students and instructors. I also published peer-reviewed articles, designed and taught dozens of sections, earned development grants, presented papers at national conferences, and served as Faculty Technology Specialist.
- Collaborated in redesigning CCC’s Professional Writing Program to focus on 21stcentury writing practices and technologies. Rolled out new curriculum to thousands of CCC students and continued to evolve the program in response to data-driven evaluation.
- Co-authored a born-digital academic article published in one of the leading journals in my field.
- Helped lead a team to write a program-specific writing textbook. Responsible for researching and writing two chapters in addition to multimedia support materials for several others.
- Designed and taught dozens of undergraduate writing sections including: First-Year Composition, Narrative Theory for Creatives, Art Activism and Digital Storytelling, Writing Web Content, Writing for New Media, and Professional Writing.
- Successfully applied for two faculty development grants.
- Served two years as Faculty Technology Specialist, facilitating pedagogy workshops on audio editing and recording, video editing, WordPress, and digital writing assignments.
- Nominated for college-wide Excellence in Teaching Award.
- Served on numerous committees and institutional initiatives.
- Presented six papers at national conferences in my field, Writing Studies and Technology.